Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Compassion

BEFORE: I gave birth to Rose, bought a house, earned my Master's degree, married Justin, graduated from Messiah, met Justin, traveled to Europe, and finished high school...Just AFTER: I got my driver's license and first job...I started sponoring a child with Compassion International. It was important to me to use some of my own income to give to someone else and so I decided to sponsor a child.
I was 16 and she was 4. Katherine is from Peru where she lives with her parents and younger siblings. In the early days of our relationship she was only able to color me pictures and her teachers wrote about her progress. Then gradually she started writing to me herself and over the years we have shared many many letters...most of which I have been able to keep.
 We discussed our families, favorite activities, how we celebrate holidays, and our different countries. Now almost 14 years later, Katherine has completed the program by successfully finishing her school program. Over almost half of my lifetime, I watched this little girl grow into a young woman and I was blessed to be part of her life, I will miss her!!! {tears}
BUT, I will sponsor another child. Actually, I have just been matched with another little girl from Peru, her name is Brenda and she is 8.
 Although I will have to do most of the correspondence to start, I hope to include Rose as much as possible and maybe have her take over the letters one day.
If you would like more information: compassion.com

No comments:

Post a Comment